Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Yarn Along

I'm a little late getting my Yarn Along post up today-I forgot to photograph anything yesterday, and we all know how poor night time lighting can be. ( I really need to get a good flash for my camera!)
I'm near complete my crocheted
rag rug, but half way through the week, as the rag rug grew larger and larger, I decided that I needed a project that was more portable. Half my knitting time is while we're out, in the car, at friends houses or church meetings etc, and the rag rug was getting way too big to carry around. Mark was complaining that when we were driving, he couldn't see his side mirrors any more because of my massive rug. So a smaller project was needed after the rug was banished to the house.


I'd been admiring little knitted/crocheted skirts for a while and decided that it was time that I make one for Lotte. I was a bit uncertain with some of the knitted patterns that I looked at, and realized that knitting would take slightly more time since I'm new to the whole thing, and decided to crochet it without a pattern instead. I made a foundation chain waist, and then did some triple crochet for a round so that I have something to string some icord or ribbon through as a drawstring. Then I've been working in half double crochet, increasing each round by hdc1 stitch, and 2hdc in the next. I guess I'll just stop when I think it looks ruffled enough and long enough to cover Charlotte's little derriere. I might add a separate ruffle on the under side in a contrasting colour, but I haven't decided yet. 

My reading lately has been limited to mostly cook books. Not just any cookbooks, but specifically the weird old church collective cookbooks...(the ones where everyone submits a recipe and they either give them away or sell them for a fundraiser etc.)

I stumbled upon a few of these at my grandmother's house when I was visiting, and my aunt and I couldn't help but laugh at some of the recipes. They all either involved absolutely no *real* cooking,(add a box of this to a box of that) or were basically composed of ingredients that really should never go together. Ever.
For example: (a recipe from my own Grandmother!)


My friend Anna and I were looking over these last week and decided that these need to be created again. Sort of as a tribute, partly as a joke, and a little bit because our school of thought "don't mock it 'till you've tried it".

Whether they're amazing, or putrid, they need to be cooked. We might start a bit of a collaboration as we try making these and testing them out on our families.
Our families don't really know that they're going to be part of a science project, but that's half the fun, isn't it?

9 comments:

  1. hee hee...laughing about the rug being banished to the house. my mr. hates it when i knit in the car. he's afraid we'll get into an accident and in the melee, i'll accidentally poke his eye out with a knitting needle. i bought him sunglasses and call it his protective eye wear.

    also. the recipes. love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally fun and adventurous idea about re-creating those old recipes. Please share if you come upon something amazing. I think I will try to crochet a rag run sometime. Sounds cool. Thanks for posting and have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally fun and adventurous idea about re-creating those old recipes. Please share if you come upon something amazing. I think I will try to crochet a rag run sometime. Sounds cool. Thanks for posting and have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jello + beef - ooh, my mouth is watering. LOL!

    such a lovely colour weave of that yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't throw up on my blog! haha
      Who knows...maybe it will be good? Kind of like those grape jelly meatballs that show up at every potluck?

      Delete
  5. I so want you to make that! Please let us know how it tastes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always photo the day before, flash with knitting never works for me. Love your knitting!! Great yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our children will have the most expansive palates of their peers, whether they like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got a whole load of those rad cookbooks.
    Have to admit though, haven't been brave enough to give them a go.
    THAT SAID...my mom makes a jellied carrot salad that rocks this world...

    ReplyDelete